- 4 medium red bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. butter or butter substitute
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ lb. Italian turkey sausage
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 2 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place bell pepper halves in a baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes and remove from oven.
- While the peppers are roasting, prepare the filling. Heat butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Cook onion for 3-4 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute. Add the turkey sausage and cook until sausage is cooked through.
- Lower the heat and add artichoke hearts, spinach, cream cheese, parmesan cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and brown rice. Stir to combine.
- Divide filling among 6 bell pepper halves and top with remaining mozzarella. Cook for 45 minutes.
Carrie Madormo takes Midwest comfort food and turns it into healthy, family-friendly dishes. She lives in Shorewood with her husband and two children.