I'm going to be very honest here -- Christmas music is very important to my family.
Some people listen to rock music. Others listen to country. Still others love pop. I grew up with a father whose genre of choice was Christmas music. Every day. All year long.
After such a steady diet of Christmas music, one might think I'd be tired of listening to it or that it wouldn't be special to me. But that's not the case. I love Christmas music, my kids and my husband love Christmas music, and we are absolutely ready to listen to it immediately after Halloween.
In our minds, the best Christmas songs are the ones that evoke the spirit of the season, that make us think about our childhood celebrations, that make us all warm and fuzzy and excited for the holidays.
After taking a poll of my household, I found these to be the top Christmas songs to get us in the holiday spirit.
1. Trans-Siberian Orchestra's "Christmas Eve in Sarajevo" -- Each of my daughters and my husband independently listed this as one of their favorites. They all love the guitar and the medley of holiday favorites highlighted in this song.
2. "Jingle Bells" -- There's definitely something to be said for the simple, old-school classics to get you in the holiday spirit.
3. Nat King Cole singing "The Christmas Song" -- better known as "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire" -- Is there anything more evocative of the Christmas season than hearing this song sung by that amazing voice?
4. Well, anything sung by Bing Crosby works too!
5. Andy Williams singing "The Most Wonderful Time of the year" makes me realize it really is the most wonderful time of the year!
6. "Santa Baby" -- My daughter loves the Taylor Swift version (because she loves anything by Taylor Swift), but I'm nostalgic for this song because, although she may not remember this, she first started loving this song as a toddler who thought the song was literally about the baby we saw dressed in a Santa suit at Christmas Eve mass.
7. "Here comes Santa Claus" -- My other daughter loves anything that makes her think Santa's on the way!
8. "Feliz Navidad" -- Every time I hear this song, I think of Christmas Eve because I have a vivid memory of coming home from my grandparents' house (where we spent every Christmas Eve when I was a child), listening to this song on the radio, and full of excitement about the upcoming Christmas morning. There's just something about the anticipation of Christmas Eve that makes a person happy.
So line up some of your nostalgic favorites, and get ready for the holiday season!