Treat Dad to a beautiful view and maybe even a pint of beer on his special day!
Here are some of our favorite picnic spots around Milwaukee:
Along the lakefront:
Bradford Beach, Milwaukee
Atwater Beach, Shorewood
Klode Park, Whitefish Bay
Doctors Park, Whitefish Bay
Bay View Park Beach, Milwaukee
Estabrook Park Beer Garden
The Landing at Hoyt Park
Milwaukee's Craft Beer Garden in Humboldt Park
South Shore Terrace
BLT Quinoa Salad
1 bulb garlic
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 pint cherry tomatoes
12 oz. (about 2 cups) uncooked quinoa
6 slices bacon, chopped
1 ½ cups chicken broth
6 cups fresh spinach
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
8 basil leaves, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Chop the top of the garlic off, exposing the bulbs. Place the garlic on a square of aluminum foil and sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Wrap with foil and back for 30 minutes.
2. While the garlic is roasting, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spread out the cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper. After the garlic has been in the oven for 30 minutes, add the tomatoes and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
3. While the garlic and tomatoes are cooking, prepare the quinoa per package instructions.
4. Set a skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped bacon and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove the garlic from the foil and when cool enough to handle, remove the roasted cloves with a fork.
5. To the pan with the bacon, add the chicken broth, salt and pepper. Lower the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in spinach, tomatoes and garlic cloves.
6. Combine bacon mixture with the cooked quinoa and top with parmesan cheese and basil. Pour into a large Tupperware and pack for picnic.
Sautéed Brussel Sprout Salad
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 pound Brussel sprouts, rinsed and halved
1 bunch kale leaves, chopped into 1 inch pieces
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and pepper
½ cup chicken broth
4 oz. goat cheese
2 tbsp. basil, finely chopped
½ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup walnut kernels (optional)
1. Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the Brussel sprouts and kale leaves and cook for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
2. Reduce heat to low and add ¼ cup water and salt and pepper. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and goat cheese and cook for 2 minutes, until the cheese is melting.
3. Remove from heat, add the basil, walnuts and cranberries.
4. Pour salad into a large Tupperware and pack for picnic.
1 pineapple, cored and chopped
2 pints strawberries, rinsed and chopped
1 bag red grapes, rinsed
Combine all ingredients and cover for picnic.