Summerfest is the pinnacle of a lot of Milwaukeeans' festival season. And it doesn't have to be limited to the grownups in the family either.
Here's what you need to know if you're taking the kids to Summerfest this year!
When: June 28-July 2 and July 4-July 9, noon to midnight daily
Carry-ins: Check out Summerfest's website for carry-in policies as there are lots of items that won't be allowed on the festival grounds. For example, strollers are allowed, but large bags are not.
Nursing moms: Nursing mother stations will be provided by Aurora Health Care and will be located in the children's area from noon to 9 p.m. daily and at the South Gate Information Booth from noon to midnight daily.
Weekday admission (Tuesday-Friday, prior to 4 p.m.): $13
General admission (valid anytime, including evenings and weekends): $20/adults; $8/seniors (age 60 and over), children (age 10 and under); Free/kids 2 and under
3-Day Pass: $48
There are admission deals to look out for everyday at Summerfest. Here are a few that are particularly interesting for families. For the rest of the admission deals, check out summerfest.com.
- Kohl's Family Day: Sunday, July 2, 12 to 3 p.m.: The first 2,500 patrons who donate three nutritious, non-perishable food items for kids will receive one free admission ticket.
- Sentry Foods and Deans Milk & Ice Cream Children's Fest Day with Today's TMJ4: Wednesday, July 5: All patrons arriving between noon and 3 p.m. will be admitted free. Spend a fun-filled day with the family enjoying Children's Fest activities.
- Northwestern Mutual "Make a child smile" Day: Saturday, July 8, 12 to 3 p.m.: The first 1,500 patrons who donate new or gently used children's books with a $10 minimum value will receive a free admission ticket. All books collected will be donated to the Betty Brinn Children's Museum.
- Summerfest "Fan appreciation" Day presented by Meijer: Sunday, July 9, 12 to 3 p.m.: All patrons will be admitted for free.
Things to do with the kids
Northwestern Mutual Children's Theater & Playzone: Visit everyday from noon to 8 p.m. for family-focused entertainment and activities.
The Kohl's Captivation Station: Kohl's welcomes all its mobile entertainment facilities to the south end of the grounds from noon to 7 p.m. every day of Summerfest.
- At Kohl's Color Wheels, kids can make and take art projects planned by the Milwaukee Art Museum.
- Visit the Kohl's Design It! Mobile Lab to create hands-on projects designed by Discovery World.
- Enjoy some conservation-themed theatrical performances from the Zoological Society of Milwaukee at the Kohl's Wild Theater.
- Kids and their families can learn about health and the positive development of children at the Penfield Children's Center's Kohl's Building Block Program.
- The Kohl's Cares Grow Safe & Healthy Program, presented by Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, is an educational display that teaches children how to keep safe and healthy.
Kids Activity Tent: Open daily from noon to 5 p.m., kids can do the following:
- UB the Band: Kids can be real rock stars with the chance to rock out with colorful drum sets, guitars, wireless microphones, real stage lighting and all the trimmings!
- Kids can take charge of remote-controlled robots built by the teenage members of Charger Robotics Team 537 from Hamilton High School in Sussex.
Children's Fest Day: On July 5, there will be extra-special kids' activities, including the following:
- Bernie Brewer will greet the guests when the gates open at noon and pose for pictures with his young fans.
- Pick up a Map of Fun at the gate, and get a stamp at each of the locations throughout the festival grounds. When the kids present the completed maps at the South Redemption Area, they will receive a prize and be entered in a giveaway.
- Sentry and Dean's Milk and Ice Cream will be giving out yummy samples!