Getting out and about with the family can be super fun -- but also super expensive.
If you want to have fun but not break the bank, here are 5 things to do for free in the Milwaukee area:
1. Take advantage of destination free days: Lots of the most fun destinations in the Milwaukee area have regular free days. Here are some examples:
Milwaukee Public Museum: Kohl's Thank you Thursday: the first Thursday of every month
Milwaukee Art Museum: Meijer Free First Thursday: the first Thursday of every month
Milwaukee County Zoo: Family Free Day: October 7, November 4, December 2
Betty Brinn Children's Museum: Neighborhood Night: 5-8 p.m. the third Thursday of every month
2. Milwaukee Art Museum: Although there is an admission fee for adults, admission for kids 12 an under is always free.
3. Dinosaur Discovery Museum: This Kenosha museum that focuses on the relationship between birds and dinosaurs, has cool artifacts, exhibits and simulated fossil digs. And it's free!
4. Family hikes:Check out this list of family-friendly hiking trails in the Milwaukee area. While some of them have a nominal fee, hikes at the Urban Ecology Center, Havenwoods State Forest and Wehr Nature Center are free.
5. Jelly Belly Visitor Center: It may not be an actual factory, but kids love the tour of the Jelly Belly warehouse in Pleasant Prairie, where they get to ride in a Jelly Belly-shaped vehicle, get a free hat and a free bag of jelly beans! Plus the warehouse has cool holiday-themed events throughout the year.