Happy Mother's Day to those expecting!
I was about 7 months pregnant with my first child when my husband and I drove to his mom’s house for Mother’s Day weekend. I was tired and swollen. The weather had already started to turn humid and warm. And the 5-hour drive from our home in Connecticut to her place in upstate New York was an arduous affair full of my whining.
After I endured a sleepless night on a lumpy bed, we went out to brunch on Mother’s Day at one of those hotel buffets where the eggs are made from powder and the orange juice is watery. But I was starving and begrudgingly ate as my 8-year-old niece refused to eat anything but bacon dipped in syrup.
After my husband paid the bill and I gathered my purse to leave, our server handed me a rose, saying “Happy Mother’s Day to you! When are you due?”
It honestly had not occurred to me that I was someone to celebrate on Mother’s Day. I was awash in emotion—it was exciting and scary. This name, Mom, could now be used to describe me.
So, Happy Mother’s Day to all you soon-to-be moms! This holiday is for you, too! And in your honor, we’ve created a special photo gallery so you can show off your baby bumps. You can submit photos on metroparentmagazine.com or email them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Elizabeth Paulsen is the online producer of metroparentmagazine.com and the mom of three boys, ages 4, 3 and 1.
- List Kicker for 'Article test a la carte': List Headline for 'Article test a la carte'
- When tweens and teens lie
- Happy Mother's Day to those expecting!
- How to help babies learn through their senses
- Birthing: Centuries-old traditions make a comeback
- Top 5 things to buy used for baby
- A baby named Miller?
- 10 baby items you can live without
- Is Wisconsin failing at helping with infertility?
- Rechargeable batteries in video baby monitors recalled