Quick Links

The Childfree Life? Are Childless Couples happier?

"The Childfree Life - When having it all means not having children" That’s the latest cover story for Time Magazine. Are childless couples happier? Ever envy the couple who chooses not to have kids?
The American birth rate is lower than it’s ever been in recorded history. Some of that accounts for the fact that some people just don’t want kids.
I’ve watched the DINK (double income no kids) couple on my block jet off to exciting vacations, remodel their home from top to bottom, and even more wonderful, sit on their front porch and have an uninterrupted conversation. Still … I feel sorry for them. I don't think childless couples are necessarily happier. Even though they both say they don’t want kids, I wonder ... Why is that? Shouldn't I be happy for everyone's personal choice?

2 Comments for "The Childfree Life? Are Childless Couples happier?"

1. It is rather odd that you second guess others' choices simply because they are different from your own. As to why some folks choose not to have kids--it must be very obvious why someone would want to avoid undertaking the laborious and often unpleasant experiece of rearing children. So many goals are more worthwhile to individuals, and to society as a whole, than the narcissitic, hormonal urge to procreate. Your "pity" is misplaced and perhaps you should reexamine your own life for the source of these backward emotional reactions.

beachbound22 Aug 20, 2013 11:50 PM

Private Message

2. Whoa! beachbound22: You obviously don't have kids. (or if you do, God help them.) If you had simply said let's accept other people's choices and be happy for them, or I am tired of people thinking I want kids when I don't, I could let it go. But to call someone's choice to [i]have[/i] children [i]narcissitic[/i] and simply [i]a hormonal urge[/i] is really over the top! For me, whatever labor or hardship experienced in having children is well worth it. How did you get on a parenting website anyway?

writemom Aug 21, 2013 10:01 AM

Private Message

Limit of 2000 characters,  characters remaining

Topic Preview

Discussion guidelines | Privacy policy | Terms of use

Please login to post a comment.

Tuesday
76°
Cloudy
WEATHER SPONSORED BY:

Advertisement

Advertisement

Reader poll

Share a photo from your child's first day of school in metroparent's back-to-school contest and be entered to win a Southridge Mall gift card.

How did your kids feel about the first day of school?

Panicked

Indifferent

Anxious

Totally excited

Other

latest events Sponsored By:

Story Time at Silly Willyz

Prenatal Yoga

Swimtastic Fall Session

Tuesdays in the Garden: Parents and Small Children

Whole Kids Club

Advertisement

Deal Watch - Milwaukee

Milwaukee's Best Discounts & Deals

Metroparent

E-mail Newsletter

Receive the latest parenting news, blogs, events and more from Metroparent every Monday morning.

Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter
Get the Newsletter!

Login or Register to manage all your newsletter preferences.